Government of Jamaica ja-flag
Attorney-General's Chambers


CCJ Decision Myrie vs Barbados

The Shanique Myrie judgment is legally significant in two important respects: 1. it addresses the nature and scope of the right of free movement within CARICOM, and 2. it clarifies other significant doctrinal and practical aspects of Community Law of particular importance to lawyers and scholars. In regard to the latter (2), the judgment clarifies, […]

The Jamaican Bar Association v The Attorney-General and the General Legal Council

The case The Jamaican Bar Association v The Attorney General and the General Legal Council [2017] JMFC Full 02, is a judgment of the Full court arising from a challenge made by the Jamaican Bar Association in respect of the constitutionality of aspects of the Proceeds of Crime Regime as extended to attorneys-at-law carrying out […]

The horizontal application of constitutional rights

This case is currently on appeal. The appeal was heard and we await the ruling of the Court of Appeal. It is the first case in Jamaica addressing the horizontal application of constitutional rights.


The material on this website is provided for general information only, and on the understanding that the Attorney General’s Chambers and the Government of Jamaica are not providing professional advice on a particular matter. This website may from time to time contain information that is intended to simplify the law for ease of comprehension. In addition, errors or omissions can occur in the preparation of web pages. The Government of Jamaica and the Attorney General’s Chambers make no representation or warranty, expressed or implied and accept no legal liability or responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of the legal information posted on this website. Before relying on the material users should independently verify its accuracy, completeness, relevance for their purposes and that it is up-to-date. The information obtained on this website is not, or intended to be, legal advice. Visitors of the website should consult an attorney for advice regarding their individual situations.